I am a passionate reader, so I am constantly telling others about how much I love the Spartanburg County Public Library system. I have lived in many different places and been a patron of many different libraries, but our local libraries are the best by far!
Spartanburg County Public Libraries offer an abundance of free events and classes to help our community grow and learn. During the summer, their calendars are packed full of awesome summer reading events. Parents, if your kids say they are bored or you need a break from entertaining them, then you need to sign them up for the summer reading program.
(DUE TO COVID-19, Library events have not been announced yet are canceled through June 31st.)
For updated event info, check the Spartanburg County Public Library Website.
Children’s Summer Reading Program
This year’s summer reading theme is “Summer Reading For All.” The program kicks off June 1st and ends July 31st. Children (babies through rising 6th graders) are encouraged to read books for fun over the summer and keep track of their summer reading form to earn prizes. Children may keep track of hours or the number of books on the card that can be printed out, picked up, or mailed to patrons.
If children read 9 books (or 9 hours), then they will receive a prize. It is an easy, fun challenge.
- Children 1-3 / squirt toy and a book
- Children 4-9 / frisbee and a book
- Tweens 10-12 / earbuds and a book
*All prizes will be available for redemption starting June 15th!
*Available while supplies last
The library encourages children to participate in the program because “studies show that kids who read during the summer return to school in the fall ready to learn. Sadly, kids who don’t read tend to fall behind, and have a bit of trouble catching up.”
Every Tuesday at 11 am on the library’s YouTube channel, there is a virtual storytime.
Teen Summer Reading
Teen Summer Reading (TSR) begins June 1st and ends July 31st. Upon completion of 9 books or 9 hours, teens will receive a water bottle.
The teen department has planned several summer reading programs that are fun and geared at teen interests. Events will be held at all the Spartanburg County library branches.
(DUE TO COVID-19, Library events have not been announced yet and are canceled through June 31st)
Teens can participate in a virtual Hogwarts event this year. The program is for kids age 12-18 only, and space is limited.
Adult Summer Reading
Parents, the library also offers an adult summer reading program that functions much like the TSR program. If you read for 9 hours, you receive a SCPL tote bag!
If you have not taken advantage of the library’s adult programs, you should try this summer. The library hosts bestselling authors, teaching events, and even yoga classes.
(DUE TO COVID-19, Library events have not been announced yet, and are canceled through June 31st.)
Other Things to Know
- You can sign up for both the TSR program and the Adult Summer Reading program online and at any of the Spartanburg County library branches.
- Summer reading cards can be printed at home or the library can mail them to your home.
- The Kids and tweens summer reading program, TSR program, and Adult Summer Reading program all offer a $10 voucher for library fine forgiveness. Wow!
- (DUE TO COVID-19, Library events have not been announced yet and are canceled through June 31st.)
Bonus: More Reading Challenges
Many businesses offer reading challenges for kids with great prizes. Don’t miss these great reading programs.
- The Scholastic Summer Read-A-Palooza challenge is a FREE online reading program for kids that runs May 4- September 4, 2020. Kids are encouraged to track their reading streaks to unlock prizes.
- Barnes & Noble is offering their own summer reading program as well. Kids in grades 1-6 can keep a summer reading journal where they track what books they’ve read. If they read eight books this summer, they can turn in their journal between July 1- August 31, 2020 and pick a free book from this list.
- Don’t forget about Chuck E Cheese — read 14 books or for 14 days and get 10 free tokens —Chuck E. Cheese Rewards